Traditionally, hot water storage tanks have been used in homes to supply hot water on demand. However, these tanks take up space and consume a lot of energy, thus, rendering them expensive in the long run. In modern homes, people are now switching over to tankless electric water heaters. Choosing an electric heater over a gas heater has a range of benefits;
- Electric units are cheaper than gas units.
- In the long run, electric systems are more reliable as there is no combustion.
- You don’t need to ventilate the electric ones or run them outside your house.
- With the electric systems, it eliminates the initial costs of setting up gas pipes and ventilation.
- With electric systems, it is possible to use solar panels to save you more energy costs and further reduce your utility bills.
Having looked at why you ought to go for an electric heater system, let us now look at the advantages and disadvantages of having an electric water heater at your home.
- These systems have superior energy efficiency compared to the traditional tanks. Therefore, they save you a lot of costs in the long run by significantly cutting down your water bills.
- They have higher durability compared to traditional storage tanks. At times, they could last twice as long as the conventional tanks.
- Electric heating systems require lesser space than the traditional storage tanks.
- It saves you time. With the traditional tanks, it could take you a few minutes to get hot water, but with the electric water heaters, you get hot water within seconds.
- Electric water heaters provide you with enough hot water for multiple showers and appliances to run at the same time.
- Generally, the purchase costs for electric water heaters are higher than those for traditional storage tanks.
- If you require retrofitting done before installing the system, the installation cost could be slightly higher.
- If maximum usage was miscalculated, you could be output challenged. Fortunately, there are tools to help you or the installation professional choose the right Rinnai unit for you, thus, avoiding this issue.
Suppose you are looking into modernizing your home and office water heating system, you are in the right place. Today, we are going to check out the best rated tankless water heaters, and a buying guide will come at the end, and you can stick around for that. Without further ado, now let’s head out to the market.
1. ECO 18 Electric Tankless Water Heater with patented self-modulating technology by Ecosmart
- This tankless water heater is configured as a “whole home” model, for places where climates where incoming water is at least 62 degrees Fahrenheit.
- This heater can heat over 2.5 gallons of water per minute and can run two showers simultaneously using it. Each shower must not emit more than 1.5 GPM. Also, you can run a shower and a sink with a maximum of 1.5gpm and a low inlet temperature of about 62 degrees Fahrenheit and an output of about 105 degrees Fahrenheit, respectively.
- Two showers, each emitting more than 1.5 GPM, can run simultaneously, provided that the incoming water is above 70 degrees Fahrenheit.
- The system has a digital control that allows you to set your temperature in increments of 1-degree Fahrenheit.
- Usually, all the tankless water heaters are sized based on the water flow rate and the rise in temperatures. If the system is used in colder areas that may be requiring a high increase of temperatures, it will heat lesser gallons per minute as compared to warmer climates.
- When sized correctly, this unit will provide endless hot water supply; it heats water as it passes through the system, instead of storing hot water like the tank type system and consumes only the energy required. Therefore, it leaves a lot of control in the hands of the user.
- This unit saves you money as it only turns on when you require hot water. Also, the system cuts down the heat loss; thus, saving you up to 50% in water heating costs.
- This unit saves you a lot of space. It has a sleek design, and it is usually wall-mounted, thus freeing up floor space for more storage.
- This unit has advanced, self-modulating technology; thus, it saves you a lot of energy.
- The unit is highly durable and easy to use.
- The unit is made of copper and stainless components to ensure zero corrosion, thus, maintaining your system in the right condition.
- To add to all the good things that the Ecosmart electric tankless system has to offer, it comes with a lifetime warranty for residential use. Therefore, you do not have to worry about a thing when purchasing this unit.
2. RUR Series Sensei SE+ Tankless Hot Water Heater by Rinnai
- This water heater system guarantees you hot water whenever you need it. Never at one point will you have to choose between taking a shower, doing your laundry or running the dishwasher, because this tank never runs out of hot water.
- No waiting, the Rinnai tankless water heater supplies you with hot water on demand. The unit has ThermaCirc360 technology, which recirculates hot water through your pipes to get you hot water faster. This instant hot water supply helps you save on water wastage. When using a traditional tank, you could end up wasting an equivalent of twenty-four 16-ounce bottles of water every time, meaning that you could end up wasting 8,700 bottles of water per person on average.
- The Rinnai tankless hot water heater saves you a lot of space. Its compact design allows you to install it in unpopular areas such as the attic, crawl, or even in the closet. It has the size of a small suitcase.
- Running this system is affordable and very efficient. Its compact design cuts down on the amounts of CO2 emitted compared to the traditional tanks, and also, the system uses less energy and saves on water. It uses 40% less energy than the conventional tanks because it only heats the water when you need it.
- The Rinnai tankless electric water heater is made using high technology and has high-quality assurance. The unit has smart monitoring technology, such as WIFI monitoring.
- Sustainability and reliability make this water heater a worthy investment for both the present and the future. Unlike with other systems where you have to buy a whole new system when the old one breaks down, with this one, you can swap components. It has an average life expectancy of twenty years compared to the traditional tanks, which last for 8-10 years. Thus, this heating system saves you both worry and money, and what more could we ask for in making a purchase?
3. S-12 240V 54A 12KW by IHeat Tankless
- One of the fascinating features of this tankless heating system is the stainless steel make up. This makes it suitable for use in outdoor kitchens, small boats, and near the ocean. This unit can also be used in highly sterile applications such as commercial kitchens, hospitals, clinics, and schools where cleanliness is a priority.
- This system saves you valuable space. Compared to the traditional tank water heater systems, this one has a compact design that allows you to install it under counters or even in closets.
- This system saves you up to 60% of water heating costs.
- Its waterproof construction allows you to quickly and safely control the temperature using a waterproof interactive touchpad.
- This tankless electric water heater can heat 2.3 GPM, meaning you can use a shower at 1.5 GPM and a sink at 0.75 GPM simultaneously or any other combination that adds up to 2.3 GPM.
4. Tankless Water Heater Electric 9KW 240V by ECOTOUCH
- This unit provides you with instant, endless hot water for you and your family. This unit has smart modulation heating; thus, it gives you constant hot water supply with an energy efficiency of 99.8%. The heater system heats up to 1.5 GPM water from 67 degrees Fahrenheit to 106 degrees Fahrenheit. With this system, you eliminate the waiting time for pre-heating, and you will not experience any temperature fluctuations.
- The unit has a smart self-modulation. The on-demand electric water heater adjusts water inputs based on flow rate and the temperature settings in real-time. As the flow of water reduces, the power input also decreases, therefore, making you get your ideal temperature with hot water instead of scalding hot water.
- This system features a micro-computer control and patent heating technology. This unit promises no cold water sandwiching and its unique heating elements to prevent any corrosion inside the pipes, thus, extending the lifespan of the system.
- This heating system is safe and durable. Every piece of the ECO90B tankless water heater goes through multiple tests to ensure 100% safety. Some of the safety features in this unit include; overtemperature protection, dry heating protection, leakage protection. Also, water and electricity lines in this system are separated for further safety, and the system is ETL approved, thus guaranteeing your safety as you use it in your home.
- The separated water and electricity line prevents your system from leakage and scale buildup. UL approves the system; therefore, you can expect outstanding performance from it for many years.
- Using this system is easy and convenient. It comes with a digital display and a touch control panel, making your temperature setting easy.
- This unit has a stylish compact design that allows you to save up some space. Also, its modern design makes it work perfectly with any decor.
- This tankless water heater comes with a digital display and touch control panels, so a temperature setting is an easy job.
- The brand is trustworthy, with over twenty years of experience, you can trust ECOTOUCH appliances to provide you with high technology, quality craftsmanship, and attractive designs in their brands. All this and much more is precisely what this heating system is. The system is user friendly, and it is based on extensive consumer research. The system meets stringent standards, and it meets the requirements. The system is pocket friendly; you do not have to melt your bank account to acquire it.
- Easy installation, the wall-mounted design makes it easy to install this system. Also, it helps you free up floor space for storage. You can install it in the bathroom, in the kitchen, or in the storage room. With this system, no venting is required. It comes with very easy installation brackets, standard pipe fitting, and a power cord that is fixed to the unit. Therefore, there is no need to hire a plumber to help you set up the system, thus eliminating the unit’s setup costs.
5. ECO180 18kW 4.4 GPM Tankless Electric Water heater by Marey
- This unit does not contain any fabrics. It does not accumulate sediments, as the water does not come into contact with the heating element. This makes the system last longer and in good condition.
- The 220-240v by ECO 180 provides 18kW of power. Thus, this is a perfect solution for multiple points of use. This system provides 36 degrees Fahrenheit increase at 4.0 GPM, thus allowing you to have various points of use in warm fairy areas. If you live in colder regions, this unit can rise to 80 degrees Fahrenheit at 1.5 GPM for hot water output at one point of use at a time.
- This unit requires (2) 50 amp breakers, thus making it a necessary precaution to hire a plumber or electrician for installation to ensure safety and proper setup.
- This German-designed unit is of high quality and is made of stainless steel, thus giving it a beautiful and rust-free finish.
- It uses smart technology and a digital control panel. This allows you to control the output temperature to your desired level. The smart technology also makes it easy to manage the unit and make adjustments on an LCD panel. By programming the temperature to your exact requirement, you save on electricity consumption, and ultimately it saves you money.
- This unit saves you on space; you can install it almost anywhere.
- It can run two simultaneous showers each 2.0GPM in hot climates, and in colder regions, it is suitable for providing hot water to a shower at 2.0 GPM.
- As compared to the traditional water tanks, this system is highly effective in terms of cost. It uses up to 60% less energy. Also, there is no need for pre-heating when using this system as hot water is provided instantly, thus making it highly energy efficient.
- This unit meets all the required standards, and it is ETL approved. It can be used in every territory of the United States.
- This unit has corrosion-resistant elements in it, which reduces hard water buildup from chlorine and calcium.
- Marey, in general, has excellent customer service. Purchasing this unit would mean you will never get stuck in the cold at any one point. This unit also comes with a five-year warranty, which is enough guarantee for you while making such a long-term investment.
6. 7kW self-modulating point of use hot water electric heater by BLACK + DECKER
- Installing the Black + Decker system in your home means a constant supply of hot water whenever you need it, without having to wait for it to heat up.
- This unit is perfect for both residential and commercial use. Tsi 7kW heater is designed to supply two sinks with hot water in warm climates and a one flow shower in hot climates.
- The ideal unit installation should be close to the point of use. The unit heats water instantly only when the faucet is activated and open.
- The unit has advanced, digital, and self-modulating technology, which helps regulate the energy used to heat water to your desired level.
- With this system, no insulated piping, ducting, or storage tanks are required.
- This heating system saves you up to 50% on your heating costs.
- With the traditional tank water heaters, they heat water 24/7 to ensure that there is a supply of the same when needed. This makes these tanks costly and inefficient water heating solutions. With the Black + Decker electric tankless water heater, the game is different. This system eliminates both the worry and the waiting time involved in obtaining hot water. This system saves you money and energy because it heats the water only when you require it.
- In case you have used an old water heater with a tank, you pretty much understand what we mean when we talk about saving up space. This electric tankless system has a compact design, and also it can be wall-mounted, thus saving you your essential space.
- This heating system is made of stainless steel that is non-corrosive for both the internal canisters and piping, making it durable and maintaining it in the right conditions.
- Running this unit is as easy as pressing a button. It has digital thermostatic controls.
- This unit requires you to have a 30 amp double pole breaker 10 AWG wire size. The inlet temperatures vary with seasonalities and location.
- This unit comes with a 7-year leakage-free warranty, five years for the heat exchanger, and two years for the parts.
Having looked at these six best rated tankless electric water heaters, we can now go through a simple buying guide to further help you make a decision on which one could best fit your needs.
- The fuel type, as we saw at the beginning of the article, electric water heaters are better than gas water heaters. With the electric, there are a few requirements that you should look into. They include; voltage, amperage, different water heaters that have varied needs in amp draw. Therefore, it is necessary to ensure that you can support the electrical demands of your heating system.
- Circuit breakers, it is necessary that you ensure you have a circuit that can support your water heater. Alternatively, an ideal situation would be putting the electric tankless water heater on its circuitry.
- Determine your location size and hot water demand. Where you need the hot water is a crucial factor to consider. Whether it is a bathroom sink, a single point application, or an entire bathroom, which is a multipoint application or a whole house, determining this will help you know the number of fixtures that will require the hot water supply. Different accessories have different demands depending on the flow. Once you establish the need, you can opt for a tankless water heater that meets all of your requirements.
- Ease of installation and maintenance. We all crave convenience, and making an investment in a tankless electric water heater brings that convenience closer home. However, there are some additional features in the systems that make life easier. For example, having a smart digital control makes it easier to run the system than manually operating it. Having the material makeup of the unit corrosion resistant means ease of maintenance and having your unit in good condition for a long time. Also, opting for a system that is easy to install takes off the pressure of having a new system and taking weeks to set it up, and also eliminates any setup costs.
- Safety precautions and certifications-Your safety and that of your loved ones should come first every time you think of purchasing an electronic or any other thing to use around your home. With the tankless electric water heaters, going for one that follows all the safety precautions like separate heating and water passage will ensure that you use the system without fear of accidents or breakage.
Final thoughts on tankless electric water heaters for homes
The need for tankless electric water heaters can’t be emphasized enough. In the long run, it will save you money that you would have used to pay high electricity bills, thanks to heightened heating costs. Also, it will save you a lot of time wasted waiting for water to heat, not forgetting the high water bills that result from wastage as you wait for the traditional heating tanks to do their thing. Plus, you will save a lot of space with the tankless heaters and match your modern home with a modern heating design.